In the past couple of weeks, I have been looking for new avenues for marketing my business. Telemarketing has worked very well but we have been thinking about offering QuickBooks classes. I want to get out and speak more. I do not know about you, but when it comes to public speaking – it causes many people to have their anxiety level goes through the roof. It is enough to put you into a tail spin but it is an awesome way to attract new clients. You can however go to training courses such as https://www.gingerpublicspeaking.com/london-public-speaking-courses to help you with public speaking, you can practice in a fun and supportive setting to be able to build up your confidence and ensure that public speaking will become a second language to you.
At first you are in a panic because you realize that you need to speak in front of a group of 15 or more people. Then you become horrified because you realize exactly what it entails, that you’ll need to stand in front of these people and talk for at least an hour or so. Your last thought is, what am I going to talk about for a whole hour?
You need to stop, take a deep breathe and take five steps back. Remember, presentations and 60 second promo’s about your business are the best way to educate people on what it is you do. Keep this in mind. By doing this you are building relationships with the people that you meet and promoting your business.
Whenever I do a presentation or speak here is my approach:
- We, as bookkeepers/consultants, should focus on the value of our service, not the price. Ie. Our clients love us because we take the worry away from them and allow them to focus on their business. They have comfort knowing that their bills are being paid on time and the work is accurate.
- Define what makes you different from your competitor or companies in your area.
- Define who is a good contact for you to meet with. For example, I am looking to connect with Lawyers, landscapers or non profit organizations.
Some presentation topics that relate to my business that I have talked about are:
- Updates on what’s new with QuickBooks – Talk about the latest versions of software you work with and what changes they have made within the programs that could benefit different businesses.
- How to streamline your Clients’ Book- I have done a PowerPoint presentation before that showed areas that most people do not use QuickBooks and how to use them in order to implement better bookkeeping procedures. Find an area most people are weak in and show them a way to improve.
- I have educated the members in my group on what the difference between a bookkeeper, a full charge bookkeeper and a controller is and discussed the different roles and expectations associated with each. By discussing the different aspects of bookkeeping, you have the opportunity to educate others on what it is you offer. Most people are pretty uneducated in this area, many business owners’ don’t realize there is a difference in these services.
Don’t let the fear of public speaking keep you from sharing what you love best about what you do and who you are. As much as public speaking takes you out of your comfort zone, I do find that it ends up being worth the tiny discomfort that I have to endure. I have gotten a ton of referral business from it, so it pays to put yourself out there and shake up your marketing strategy.