This last week I have been feeling a little overwhelmed. You know too much to do, but too little time to do it. The next couple of weeks are going to be so insane. I have surgery for my right knee, an employee leaving, a new employee starting, a conference to attend and oh 106 new clients transitioning in. Of course none of this includes what is going on in my personal life. So how do I manage not being so overwhelmed?
Here are several ways I use to help stop feeling so overwhelmed:
- Call a good friend or colleague. I have several friends or colleagues that I rely on. They give me perspective when I need it. Often they can give me clarity and help talk me off the ledge when I am ready to jump.
- This is a new one for me. I have to admit this is not my strength. I have had to learn how to meditate. Recently I purchased an app called headspace https://www.headspace.com. In ten minutes it teaches how to meditate and it teaches the things you should look for when meditating. It starts out as a free 10 day trial but it is to help reduce stress and anxiety.
- Take a time out. Sometimes you just need to take a few steps back and do something different to feel refreshed. Read a book, get out with some friends, go to a movie. Clear your mind.
- Sometime you need to release some energy. I find walking helps me clear my mind. I put on some good tunes, set the pace and go. Take Yoga, a spin class, swimming find something that you enjoy doing.
- Write a to do list. When I have a lot to get done, often I will write out a list of what needs to be accomplished. Then I will cross off each one that I complete. It helps me keep it straight in my mind.
Everyone get’s overwhelmed from time to time. Just remember it is temporary. Stay focused. Take a deep, breath and this too will pass.