Recently I was travelling from Melbourne to Sydney for a work related trip and a few days break at the same time. Whilst I was waiting for the plane to take off, I was looking at everyone around me. They were either on their mobile phones, Ipad or laptops working or playing. I’m not talking business people, but watching children with games, parents on their phones and I got to thinking, why do we all not stop and smell the roses, talk to the people that we care about and smile?
Most of these people around me would be travelling on a holiday and yet no one was talking to each other.
Sad isn’t it.
I did take a few days break with hubby and friends and funny enough found it very hard to stay off my emails and social media. I had to make a conscious decision NOT to check my emails every hour on the hour.
Did I really think the world would stop if I didn’t check my emails, let’s not even mention Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter to check all my work groups, notifications and posts that I just had to keep up to date with.
Think about these points, do you think you could do any of these over a weekend?
- Switch that mobile phone OFF and keep it off
- No phone calls
- No emails
- No Facebook, Linkedin or Twitter feeds.
- Do NOT switch your PC or Laptop ON
- No google
- No emails
Think of doing this instead:
- Sometimes we have to STOP
- We need to enjoy the time with our family and friends
- Life isn’t ALL about work
- Go for a walk
- Read a book
- Smile at a stranger walking past
Here’s some tips that may be able to help you accomplish the above and let you leave your work behind for just a weekend at a time.
- Have Structure in your work place (doesn’t matter if you have a home office or a corporate office)
- This way you know what’s going to happen and why it’s going to happen. Without structure, life can be chaotic.
- Set goals, plan and prioritise your work flow
- Having clear goals, this will make life easier because you know where you are going, how to get there and you are in control.
- Prioritise your tasks using a to-do list prioritise in 4 categories
- Urgent and important – has to be done today
- Important by not urgent – can be done tomorrow
- Secondary tasks – can be done by end of week
- Projects – long term no deadline
- Check out training that will help you to achieve your goals
- Everyone needs training to learn the techniques required for effective Work/Life balance. There are a number of books and courses on time management; goal setting; maximising productivity; increasing effectiveness; relaxation and stress management, and a range of providers for this training.
- Ask for help play to your Strengths in running your business
- Don’t try to be all things to all people.
- Focus on your strengths and outsource the rest to others
- Are you really an expert in accounts or graphic design?
- You can’t do it all on your own, ask for help from a trusted Advisor in their field, this can save you a lot of your own time so you can focus on what you want to accomplish.
- Be positive
- Mix with positive people and don’t accept negativity. See the opportunity, not the obstacle, and if you can’t see the positive side of any situation look harder, look longer and look at it differently. There’s always a positive spin. The glass is half full after all !
- Stay Healthy
- It’s important to eat well, sleep well and exercise. Take care of your body take time out to have a massage, visit the doctor, and manage your stress levels.
- Love your Job and you will Love your Life
- The old do what you love and love what you do quote
- Your enhanced knowledge and understanding will increase your control and with this control you will achieve a better balance. So, to enhance your balance it is so very important to enjoy what you do, or change what you do.
- Enjoy the journey, every day and in every possible way. You should only be doing those things that you want to do. Take control over your life.
These are some simple concepts, not too hard to master. Focus on the key components of your day so you can make it happen for you and your family. And remember don’t forget to Smile !!
Take this quote away with your from Vivek Wadhwa:
“You may not believe in anything called a work-life balance, but your body certainly does. You need to monitor and nurture your body.”